Activism Coordinator – MYR 3,500 – MYR 4,000
- LOCATION: PETALING JAYA, SELANGOR
- APPLICATION PERIOD: 17 DECEMBER 2021 – 17 JANUARY 2022
- Being able to contribute to meaningful human rights impact
- Colaborative, creative and thoughtful team
- Working with youth & diverse groups, locally & internationally
The Activism Coordinator will lead on fulfilling Amnesty International Malaysia’s ‘people powered movement’ goals by developing and implementing activism approaches, tools and tactics to strengthen activism communities and diversify and sustain the movement for human rights.
The Activism Coordinator must have a passion for organising and mobilising people to engage in campaigns, and must have a commitment to working with youth. Recruiting supporters who are willing to take action to further AI Malaysia’s campaign goals, and fostering a ‘spirit of activism’ are core parts of this role. This includes having the temperament and experience in building the capacity of others to develop and implement dynamic and impactful activism projects, and having an understanding of what motivates people to take action. The Activism Coordinator must be willing and capable of working with diverse groups with thoughtfulness, sensitivity and in a participatory way.
Strong project management skills and the ability to coordinate groups is fundamental to the role. The Activism Coordinator will also work closely with the Campaigner in developing activism and human rights education strategies, and must be adept at utilising offline and online activism tactics to achieve human rights impact.
This role requires a strong human rights perspective, a commitment to continuous learning, and effective written and verbal communication skills.
Overview of core responsibilities:
- Develop and implement activism strategies for AI Malaysia to achieve campaigns goals and achieve strong human rights impact
- Develop and implement organising and mobilising strategies to recruit, retain and motivate a large number of supporters for AI Malaysia’s human rights work
- Ensure AI Malaysia database of supporters is accurate and up-to-date
- Work to fulfill Amnesty International’s youth strategy plan
- Coordinate the network of school clubs and local groups, and organise regular briefings, activities and catch-up sessions
- Co-develop human rights education plans, including developing, identifying and disseminating campaigning and other human rights resources to strengthen the capacity of supporters and members of the public to engage in activism
- Work closely with the campaigner in the implementation of campaign activities and assessment of outreach and impact of projects.
- Co-manage AI Malaysia social media accounts and contents.
- Act as the principal liaison between AI Malaysia’s secretariat, supporters and governance body including communication over emails, collaborating on newsletters, organising annual meetings and other activities.
- Co-manage interns and volunteers at AI Malaysia, including supporting onboarding processing and co-developing workplans
- Other tasks within your skills and competency as required.
The candidate should have:
- Knowledge and experience of a broad range of human rights issues and social change methods and tactics, including mass mobilisation, activism and organising techniques (online/offline)
- Outstanding interpersonal and influencing skills to build understanding and agreement on strategies and plans across diverse groups of people
- Strong organization, project management, time management and multi-tasking skills
- Willingness to be creative and able to think outside the box
- Proven proficiency in using social media tools
- A masters/ degree qualification in human rights is desirable but not essential.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills in English and Bahasa Malaysia is required. Fluency in a vernacular language is strongly desired.
- A willingness to work beyond office hours and on public holidays and weekends, when necessary (with replacement leave for work done outside working hours)
About the organisation
Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 7 million supporters, members and activists in over 150 countries and territories who campaign to end grave abuses of human rights.
Amnesty International Malaysia (AI Malaysia)’s vision is for a world in which every person’s fundamental human rights is protected as enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. AI Malaysia’s mission is to undertake study and action focused on preventing and ending grave abuses of the rights to physical and mental integrity, freedom of conscience and expression, and freedom from discrimination, within the context of its work to promote human rights.
AI Malaysia is independent of any government, political ideology or religious creed. It does not support or oppose any government or political system, nor does it support or oppose the views of the victims whose rights it seeks to protect. It is concerned solely with the impartial protection of human rights.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17th January 2022. Please include the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line: i.e “APPLICATION: ACTIVISM COORDINATOR.”